Heritage

Heritage of 28 Maxwell Road

The building at 28 Maxwell Road was built towards the end of the 1920s. Designed by the former Public Works Department’s chief architect, Mr Frank Dorrington Ward, the building shares a distinctive colonial architecture alongside other heritage buildings designed by Mr Ward, including the former Supreme Court, and the former Hill Street Police Station.

 

The building was first used as a Police barracks until the Traffic Police Headquarters moved in in end January 1930. The Traffic Police Headquarters remained there for almost 70 years until 1999, after which it moved to its current premise at Ubi. The building also used to house Singapore’s first driving test centre, before the Queenstown Driving Centre was opened in 1968.

 

In November 2005, the Red Dot Design Museum Singapore moved into the building. Accordingly, the building was renamed ‘Red Dot Traffic,’ incorporating the identities of its former and current tenants. In 2017, it was announced that Maxwell Chambers would be expanding to occupy 28 Maxwell Road, which has since been renamed Maxwell Chambers Suites.